About MeCara Marta Messina [she/her]
- Doctoral candidate at Northeastern University's English Department
- Writing and Rhetoric + Computers and Writing + New Media
- Fan studies, rhetorical genre studies, critical digital pedagogy, cultural studies, and anti-racist and anti-misogyny advocate.
Research: My overall research and pedagogy concerns the representation and celebration of counternormative narratives. My dissertation will create a Critical Fan Toolkit that fans can use to become more critical in their practices and teachers can use to incorporate critical fan pedagogies.
Current Position: I am the Assistant Director of the Digital Teaching Integration, part of Northeastern University's College of Social Sciences and Humanities initiative to better integrate digital tools, methods, and research in classrooms across the disciplines.
Pedagogy: I received the 2019 Kairos Graduate Student Teaching Award. I have taught First Year Writing and Advanced Writing in the Disciplines at St. John's University and Northeastern University. In my FYW courses, which you can read more about here, I integrate fan practices to empower and engage students so they think critically about how narratives may reinforce or subvert racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, and ableism.
Service: I co-lead the Feminist Coding Collective (formerly the Digital Feminist Commons), which prioritizes creating an inclusive feminist space for people to learn and practice coding. In October 2019, I will also be co-teaching a Girls Who Code course.
- Coordinator of the NULab for Texts, Maps, and Networks
- President of the English Graduate Student Association from 2018-2019
- Lead organizer for the 2019 English Graduate Student Association Graduate Student Conference titled "Centering the Margins"
- Research Associate for Design for Diversity, an IMLS-grant funded national forum project, at Northeastern’s Digital Scholarship Group. I helped organize the Opening Forum event in October 2017 and Closing Forum event in 2018 as well as helped build the Design for Diversity Teaching and Learning Toolkit.
- Research Associate for the Pedagogy and Infrastructure Teams for the Women Writers Vector Toolkit.